February proved to be very dull and cold. Gloomy, stormy weather with snow covering everything and what to say about cold. Weather was just brutal and we actually got few requests from OPPD (Omaha Public Power District) via email to minimize our power use due to high power demand in the area.
Tips for power minimization :-
- Lower your thermostat a few degrees and dress more warmly or use additional blankets to stay comfortable. This can reduce your energy usage by 1-3% for each degree.
- Close the fireplace damper when not in use to avoid losing heat through the chimney.
- Use dampers on the ductwork to balance the airflow in your home if one room is colder or warmer than another. Closing registers should be a last resort if dampers are not available.
- Do not use a wood-burning fireplace for supplemental heating, as it pulls hot air out of a home through the chimney in order to fuel the fire.
- Seal windows and external doors with weather stripping.
- Avoid washing and drying clothing or running dishwashers during the coldest parts of the day – typically late night and early morning.
- Avoid “phantom” power loss
- Switch desktop computers and monitors to sleep mode when not in use.
- Shut computer monitors off when not in use.
- Do not just turn off electronics like televisions, DVD, Blu-Ray players, or cable boxes when not in use. Unplug them if possible.
- A central power strip enables you to turn off multiple devices at once.
So we basically spent our time inside our cave except Valentine’s day. My photography was limited to the balcony only.
Hope you liked my “snowart” :). So which one of them reminds you perfect snowy day ?
Happy Reading ! Keep Traveling !!!